Monday, April 20, 2009

Organizing & Reorganizing Like It's the Middle of the Summertime!

Last night I fell asleep with my bedroom window wide open. And this morning I awoke to the sound of a lawnmower, the smell of freshly-cut grass, and an extra blanket...of sunshine!!

It truly feels like Summertime. Even as I stayed up late last night and reorganized all my saint medals and Scapulars, it felt like it was an evening in July, where sleeping in the next day was to be expected. :-)

Since my day began in the afternoon, I decided to skip breakfast and went straight to lunch. Then, I decided to tackle a looming problem that I have been putting off for months. But first, let me explain. :-)

Around this time last year--in the middle of the night--the closet in my wardrobe room experienced an avalanche! I woke up pale as a ghost, startled by the unbelievable noise and surprised by the fact that nothing in my apartment seemed to be out of place.

When I finally started opening closet doors, I found the catastrophe. Everything in my two-door closet had come crashing down, including the pole from which I hung my clothes, as well as the shelving units above it. Fortunately, that closet only held black clothes, and--for the next 4 months--I just never wore black, as I procrastinated with figuring out who would fix my closet.

Should I call my landlord? Should I fix it myself? After several failed attempts (of buying the wrong hardware at the Home Depot and not being able to secure things myself), I asked Dad, who also had great difficulty. It wasn't until my generous and handy friend Mike offered that the job was completed and the color black returned to my daywear, 5 months after the initial incident.

But then the same tragedy occurred in my bedroom closet about 4 months ago. It must have happened when I was at school one day because I never heard a sound! Like its predecessor, I let that closet sit untouched for a good long while as I contemplated what to do next. And finally this weekend I decided!

No, I would not repair this closet and give it new hardware. Instead, I would fill the alcove with labeled boxes of neatly organized STUFF! And so I spent the next many hours reorganizing a closet with tremendous attention to detail. It feels great to be so organized now! I even counted and categorized all my shoes. And I even printed an outline, so that I can know the little contents of boxes without even having to open them up! Yay! (Ah, I do have a little bit of Type A personality in me, after all!)

In the evening, I said good-bye to my spiritual director, Father Bola Oye, who is moving to a little town just outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. It was so sad to say good-bye to him, but I know that we will keep in touch and see each other again one day! He is a great priest who decided to leave the comforts of his present parish to be the only priest in a poor diocese that desperately needs one. He is going because he knows it is his obligation to do so. Without this move, hundreds of people would be without the sacraments. And so he is sacrificing everything in his present life for the spiritual welfare of others. His devotion to God is so beautiful and inspirational to me. Oh, how he will be missed!

After asking him to bless a large crucifix, two Rosaries, and a statue of Mary (and after giving him a long good-bye hug!), I went to 9 PM Mass on the campus of Frankin & Marshall College. When I walked out of the beautiful church at 10 PM, to my surprise, there were hundreds of students standing out on the lawn!

As it turned out, the fire alarm in the neighboring library had been accidentally pulled, and everyone was forced to evacuate. That's a lot of excitement for so late at night!

Time for bed. Good-night!