Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Seeking Purity of Heart

Last night, four of us got together to celebrate my friend Andy's birthday. When asked what he'd like to do for his birthday, Andy generously said that he'd like us all to go to a healing Mass for the intention of our friend Brian's brother who is in the hospital. Did Andy realize that such an activity would also be gift-giving to us by the spiritual benefits that we would receive?

This is the sort of selflessness comes easily and frequently to Andy. He always thinks of others before himself. I desire to be more like him!

I had a million things on my to-do list after school, so I was late to meet everyone. No one was surprised, thankfully. We met at the mall, scarfed down a quick dinner in the food court, and Andy opened his gifts.

Then Jesse and I hopped into the back of Shawn's huge green monster, and my GPS directed us to St. Peter's in Elizabethtown.

It was a beautiful ceremony, and we decided to participate in the the "laying-on of hands," as the priest heard our requests for physical or spiritual healings and then prayed to God that we might be restored.

I asked that I might be healed of selfishness in all of its forms, from greed to lust to any other impurities of my heart. I prayed that I may love with a pure heart always. And I quietly prayed to be more like Andy.