Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Discombobulated Girl

There are a few certain things that every girl should have. Without one of these essentials, a girl can feel utterly discombobulated.

Examples of these important feminine necessities include: a tube of lip gloss, special undergarments, tampons, and a pair of earrings.

These 4 items really are the ONLY things we girls absolutely need. Allow me to elaborate a bit further...
  • We can live without mascara, eye liner, or concealer -- but do not ask us to go without chapstick or lip gloss.
  • We'll be fine wearing whatever on our bottoms -- but don't ask us to feel confident without a bra.
  • We realize that rings, bracelets, and necklaces are just fluff -- but do not ask us to go without earrings.
  • And, when it's that certain time of the month, we need additional supplies. 'Nuff said.
Your dear friend Lisa over here is, unfortunately, feeling quite discombobulated.

Outside of the fact that I absolutely love to roll that word off my lips, my discombobulation is not from a lack of chapstick, undergarments, or tampons.

Indeed, it is earrings that I lack, and it is horrible feeling that pains me. I feel it right at the back of my jaw line.

Just before I moved into this house in August, I packed up my last remaining things in a hurry and never bothered to label the boxes into which they went. My collection of earrings were among these items tossed into cardboard with haste, and thus I have found myself in an awkward position of not having ANY.

Well, I was wearing a pair the day I moved. They were a simple pair of faux diamond studs. They have been, therefore, the only earrings I have worn since the move. And, for a girl who loves to change her appearance often, I was growing quite bored with them.

They lasted dutifully through the month of September and half of October, but finally they literally broke in half from overuse. My ears have been a bashful and naked pair ever since.

I have grinned and bared it (both literally and figuratively) for the past 3 or 4 weeks now, but this is getting ridiculous. Last weekend, when I went out for hip-hop, my ears were particularly sullen. Am I really supposed to get through another weekend of festivities while feeling nude?

The solution to my problem, of course, is to find the unmarked box. But this I have tried, and with no success. I did not pack this particular box of which I speak, and therefore I haven't the foggiest clue what those earrings would be with.

I think my students are catching on to my unfortunate situation. Last week one of my (probably) female students anonymously gave me a gift-wrapped pair of earrings, which she obviously made from plastic beads and twisted metal. Last year, I would have found the gift on my desk, smiled at the thoughtfulness, and then stashed them somewhere. But this year, I paused at them and thought, "Well, I could..."

The earrings are large and made of fake yellow gold with a big blue plastic bead in the center. Certainly not my usual style, I wore this pair with great appreciation the other day.

Unfortunately, the big blue plastic beads do not go with much of my attire. So, for 99% of the unforeseeable future, this girl will, unfortunately, be discombobulated.