Thursday, November 12, 2009

From Far Away

Some of you may know that I'm on a Catholic dating site. It's called AveMariaSingles.com, and I've met some very nice, quality men on it.

Well, actually, until last weekend, I had only met one.

I joined 2 or 3 years ago, deciding that I wouldn't initiate contact with anyone, hoping--I guess because of my romantic view of the world--that he'd notice me first.

And so, every once in a while, I get an email.

And, every once in a while, the guy isn't from some Western state, super-far away from me.

And, every once in a while, the guy actually does have a webcam, allowing us to video chat.

This seems to be the only way I like to first meet someone online. Maybe it's because I'm scared that the dude I'm talking to isn't the one I saw in the photograph or something. Or maybe I just want to see if his face lights up when he smiles. Or maybe I want to watch how heartily he laughs when I do something funny on-screen. Who knows. I just know that I feel better about meeting someone in person if I've already "met" him in a live video feed. It feels more authentic, more human, and more real.

So, just last month, this nice guy from Connecticut started Skyping with me, and last weekend he came to visit me. It was lovely finally seeing the 3D version of the 2D man I had gotten to know. He actually had various dimensions and depth to him, and I mean this both literally and figuratively.

Of course, God's will is paramount to the success of any future relationship I may have when my Marian Promise of staying single ends this coming June; but, in the meantime, I am thankful for Michael's new friendship! :)