Thursday, July 29, 2010

Macy sure is a girl!!

My golden retriever Macy just got her period today! 

I had wondered if she was ever going to get it, given that Spring has certainly passed us by. 

I began to suspect that perhaps she was experiencing menopause, given that her last litter in December was only one puppy, causing the breeding mill she was a part of to want to euthanize her -- which absolutely breaks my heart!

I really don't understand how Macy's menstrual cycle works, given that it is so different from my own.  I've heard that dogs only go into heat twice a year.  I'm pretty sure I go into heat once a month!

But I guess I'm not even sure what it means to "go into heat."  Does it mean that she is fertile or that she is menstruating?

Is she in heat right now?  Or was she just fertile?  I'm so confused!

Either way, we're prepared.  I have two pairs of cute little bloomers for her to wear, and she'll wear these and make use of the feminine products I have in my bathroom.  But if she goes into my medicine closet and tries to help herself to some of my Midol, I'm going to have to draw the line!!