Thursday, August 30, 2012

I'm Somebody's Mother


Even before I met my husband Michael, I made a conscious decision to start living then what I hoped would be the themes of our marriage.  I wanted us to lead each other to become saints.  I wanted us to love each other through the lens of Theology of the Body.  I wanted us to have Christ in our center and to be passionate Catholics.

It was an embrace which was challenging when the future was still uncertain and I hadn't even met my husband yet (let alone know for sure if he even existed), but I did it.  I did it because it was recommended to me by someone I admire.  I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do.  I did it because it made me a better person and would make me a better wife eventually.  Thank God for the guidance of the Holy Spirit way back then and also now.

The same lesson can be applied to my life now as I prepare for Baby's arrival.  Even though I haven't met my child yet, I must remember that I am already this child's mother.  I am called to live out now the themes that will be the themes of my Motherhood.

All the beautiful traits of being a mother I must embrace now.  Among them are selflessness, the ability to calm fears, loving abundantly, trusting God immensely, and feeling content with and optimistic about the world in which we live.  All of these gifts I can pass along to my child by simply embracing them myself.

For me right now, this very second, it means staying calm and optimistic about tomorrow's prenatal checkup.  It means trusting that God has equipped my body to adequately handle this pregnancy.  It means believing that the results of my blood and urine tests will be wonderful.  It means staying calm and smiling as my blood pressure is taken, knowing that the results will be good.

Why?  Because this, dear reader, is who a Mother is.