Monday, August 27, 2012

Tonight's Supper: Chicken Croquettes

I literally spent all afternoon today in the kitchen!  Goodness, gracious!

After making that cranberry maple chicken salad for our lunch today, I had plenty of left-over cooked chicken...so I decided to use it to make chicken croquettes for tonight's supper.

One thing I'm learning about cooking is that you should save every little scrap of food that you work with.  Everything always seems to have an unexpected and important use!

For example, even the juices that remained from the cooked chicken today were worth holding onto to make the gravy that would cover our chicken croquettes tonight.  Who knew!

Anyway, the results were delicious!  Here's what I did:

In the food processor, I chopped finely 2 cups of red potatoes.  I kept the skin on for extra fiber.  :)

In a medium sauce pan, I boiled for about 7 minutes the finely chopped red potatoes in 1 cup of fat-free chicken broth, tossing in--for extra flavoring--3/4 teaspoon of thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.

In the food processor, I chopped finely 2 cups of cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley.

In a large bowl, I mixed together the chicken with the potato mix.  Using my bare hands, I rolled together 8 - 10 different little mounds, dipping each in beaten egg goo and then rolling them in Italian seasoned breadcrumbs.

I plopped them on a greased cookie sheet and baked them at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until they were golden brown.  Bon-appetit!